Research in the School of Medicine
Research in the School is focused on interdisciplinary themes. Each of these spans the spectrum from laboratory investigation to clinical practice, in hospital and community settings.
Our approach brings together people, knowledge and skills from a range of disciplines. This approach is the key to our research strength and achievements.
The School's research Institutes embody this philosophy. Their results are an indicator of its success.
Research networks & interest groups
The School offers research degree opportunities in fields across the spectrum of medicine and medicine-related disciplines.
- Foucault, surveillance and carbon monoxide testing in stop-smoking services Qualitative Health Research 2015
- Genetic risk for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder contributes to neurodevelopmental traits in the general population. Biol Psychiatry, Volume 76, 8 October 2014 pp.664-671
- FLCN, a novel autophagy component, interacts with GABARAP and is regulated by ULK1 phosphorylation. Autophagy, Volume 10, 10 October 2014 pp.1749-1760
- Archive of publications (1667 items)
Research-related news & events
- Diagnostic tool for leading viral cause of birth defects 15th October 2014Researchers from Cardiff and Swansea Universities have been awarded a grant of more than £323k to develop a new, non-invasive, low-cost, and easy to use point of care device to diagnose Human Cytomegalovirus (HCMV).
- Counting the seconds for immunological tolerance 3rd October 2014Researchers from Basel (Switzerland), in collaboration with Prof Andrew Sewell and Dr David Cole from Cardiff University and colleagues from Cambridge (USA), discover that the immune system uses a molecular biological clock to target intolerant T cells during their maturation …
- CMV research on BBC Wales Today www.facebook.com30th September 2014I&I scientists Richard Stanton and Ian Humphreys discuss their latest discoveries on BBC Wales Today.
- HTC 10th July to 21st November Dates for the Submission of Ideas
Dr Carmel McEniery 23rd October, 13.00‑14.00 The haemodynamics of Hypertension and Cardiovascular RiskVenue: Henry Wellcome Building
- Healthy Ageing Conference & Public Lecture 30th October, 13.00‑17.30 The importance of a healthy lifestyleVenue: All Nations Centre
Central Biotechnology Services
A centrally-located service offering state-of-the-art technology, technical support and guidance.
Clinical Research Facility
A crucial facility for the translation of basic biomedical science developments into clinical practice.
Research Support & Administration
The Research Office provides expert support over a project's life-cycle, including information and guidance on research funding, training, policy, procedures, and strategy.
The Research Ethics Committee is responsible for the formal ethical review and approval of all research involving human participants, tissues or data.
Be a part of our work
Anyone can take part, by collaborating, by contributing expertise, resources or funding, or sponsoring a researcher, project or lab