News archive for Cardiff Institute of Infection & Immunity
- Cardiff professors elected to Learned Society for Wales Cardiff University29th April 2015Four Cardiff University professors have been elected to the prestigious Learned Society for Wales, a keenly competed accolade which recognises academic excellence.
- How X-ray crystallography saved your life and sent you to the moon 27th February 2015Dr David Cole has been awarded £56K by the Wellcome Trust to develop a public engagement programme with Techniquest science museum in Cardiff Bay, in collaboration with Eisteddfod, Diamond light source and Cardiff University.
- Immune system 'friendly fire' could be to blame for cancer deaths 17th February 2015New research suggests that patients recovering from bowel cancer surgery may be at a higher risk of relapse if their blood shows an immune response to a particular protein, called carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA). By informing a more tailored treatment strategy …
- Support for research into acute and chronic kidney disease 13th February 2015Kidney Research UK supports collaborative projects at the School of Medicine into novel biomarkers in patients with acute kidney injury and patients with peritoneal dialysis-related infection
- Cardiff Scientists uncover how harmful viruses hide in salivary glands 6th February 2015Researchers at the Cardiff Institute of Infection and Immunity have discovered one of the secrets of cytomegalovirus that allows this virus to persist within the salivary glands and subsequently disseminate through saliva
- T-cells 'uproot' a cancer peptide to target melanoma 2nd February 2015A Cardiff University team led by Dr David Cole and Professor Andrew Sewell visualises the interaction between a T-cell and a natural and modified skin cancer derived pMHC at atomic resolution
- "I've seen the tragedy of a mum dying and losing her twins" Cardiff University2nd February 2015Life-saving medical procedures are being taught in a sub-Saharan African country for the first time thanks to one of the University’s flagship engagement projects.
- "Doctor Who" Christmas Special features Cardiff University equipment www.facebook.com25th December 2014The Cardiff Institute of Infection & Immunity and the Cardiff China Medical Research Collaborative donate laboratory equipment that features prominently in the "Last Christmas" episode aired on BBC1 on 25 December 2014.